Sunday, June 24, 2012

Food in Italy

Although Italians are known to have good food, we ate most pizza and pasta during our stay. Meals were typically pretty expensive in Italy and the portions were not very big. This was especially the case in Venice, since almost all the people in the city are tourists.....and the restaurants know this.

But we did have a couple of good meals in Rome.......some different fusions of ingredients as well.

Here is the photo gallery of our more notable plates while in Italy.

Gnocchi in a beef bolognese sauce
Prosciutto and melon
Pear salad with nuts and 4 different types of cheeses in a berry sauce
Caprese salad with fresh mozzarella
Chocolate filled pizza dough
Lamb ragu with a touch of cinnamon
Lamb sweetcakes with melon and cream
Wild boar in a chocolate and vinegar sauce
Pudding with saffron and sage
(note: photos taken with my iphone)

6 comments:

  1. The gnocchi looks really good! I've usually had them in a creamy/cheesy sauce, but thinking about them in bolognese sounds delicious too.

    Hm. I just remember that in Rome, there was a lot of stuff on bread (crostini). Oh, and did you mean lamb sweetbreads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops. Yes I meant sweetbreads....don't know why I wrote sweetcakes =P

      Delete
    2. Ha. You have cake on your mind? Dessert time?

      How were the sweetbreads? I feel like they can sometimes be an acquired taste. I find them delicious, but really heavy. I probably couldn't finish that whole plate you have in your picture.

      Delete
    3. I liked them.....can't say I *loved* them. I don't think i ever had sweetbread before...it was interesting. I finished it ^_^

      Delete
  2. #1 - food looks and sounds delicious (especially the wild boar)
    #2 - you have an iphone?
    #3 - we need to talk. pronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 - yes it was. but we couldn't decide if we like the pudding. it was different, but we just weren't sure.
      #2 - yes i have an iphone. we can imessage each other. it's connected to my hotmail email.
      #3 - ok i will try to call you before you go to work today.

      Delete